Saturday, August 27, 2016

Cemetery

Last night I drove to New Prague, the town I grew up in, to do some painting. The subject I chose; the Chapel at the St. Wenceslaus Cemetery. It is a beautiful octagonal shaped chapel at the center of the old section of the cemetery. It's beautifully simple in design that rests at the highpoint of the cemetery. Some may think it freaky or macabre to be painting a graveyard but this one, when I was growing up, was like my backyard. It actually was directly behind the backyard of the home I grew up in. I, along with my siblings and neighbors would play here. It was a great spot for hide and seek, cowboys and indians or riding our bikes down the road from the chapel. We did though respect that it was a cemetery. We regularly saw the burials and the mourners and Memorial Days were it was lit up with flowers and flags. Though, last night while I was painting it was pretty quiet.


St Wenceslaus Cemetery, Casein
Then I drove north to Jordan, another town I love to paint. The old main street has many historic brick buildings. I set up just after the sun set. The streets of Jordan were almost as quiet as the cemetery.


Jordan Night, Casein

No comments:

Post a Comment