Tuesday, August 23, 2016

New Painting on My Easel

I thought I would share the progress of a painting I am currently working on in my studio. This is based on a plain air study I did while in the Black Hills of SD this spring. I came upon this spot as I many times do by driving down a forest road. Usually one not on a map, so I don't know where I will come out. Not to get too philosophical but I think it is good to to sometimes go in a direction where you have no idea where it will take you. It's good for painting and equally good for life. I found my favorite place in Minnesota going down a forest road north of Holland in a car that had no business being on such a road.
This road in the Black hills would narrow and then open up as it wound it's was through the hills. I stopped at this spot because I liked the dark mass the trees on the left made in contrast to the brilliantly lit tree on the right. There is nothing better than being in the middle of nowhere and all you see, hear and smell is nature.
These images show my first rough in where I establish the composition and values. The second image is with the rough color added. These stages go quickly. From here I refine and add details. Many times a painting will get put off to the side for I while if I am not sure what I think should be done. Time is a great tool to help an artist gain perspective on a painting. This one, though, I think will be on the easel for a little while longer.
These photos were taken with my iPad so the quality is not great.

Rough in, Oil, 44"x28"

Rough Color

More to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment