Tuesday, October 11, 2016

St. Croix State Park

I might be biased but I think Minnesota has one of the best State Park systems in the country. This last weekend I went camping with my father-in-law and brother-in-law and a bunch of kids. We try to make it out a couple times a year and we typically camp at a state park. Having been to most of the parks in southern and eastern Minnesota I had never been to St. Croix. It was somewhat by accident we ended up there. I had wanted to go to Banning but it filled up before I had a chance to book a site. So we headed to St. Croix, which is just a little west and south of Banning. It must be one of the largest parks in the system. We drove over five miles into the park to just get to the campground and from there toy can drive over ten miles to the fire tower or lookout points on the St. Croix and Kettle Rivers. St. Croix State Park is home to many WPA built structures including: shower facilities, lodges, water towers and ranger stations all built with logs and stones. This painting is of one of those structures.

St. Croix WPA Building, Casein, 9"x12"

No comments:

Post a Comment