Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Quick Night Painting


I had an hour to kill while my son had basketball. Instead of making two trips I waited at the school and painted a quick painting. I really enjoy night painting. It adds another level of challenge to plein air painting. I painted this one in my car so I had some light from the interior lights. That helped greatly because usually I try to set up under a street light or lighted sign which have really bad color temperature and make the paints on my palette look off. That makes painting at night an exercise in painting warm and cool. Since I can't trust the colors I see on my palette or painting I paint cool areas with cool colors and warm areas with warm colors. Night paintings tend to be very high in contrast so it is important to get the values correct. I am happy with how this came out. I think I got an accurate representation of the street light lit corner. The subject is a little simple and the placement of the stop sign in the center aren't ideal but I am happy with my effort.

Corner Nocturne, Casein

No comments:

Post a Comment